Friday, February 17, 2017

We Could Have Been Millionaires if We took Risks in Our Investments

Our Retirement Home, Boac, Marinduque, Philippines

I have been retired from the US Federal Government since 2002. Looking back on my participation to the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) back in the mid 1990's, I know I could have been a Millionaire, If I risked my savings into the more risky C fund ( stocks). At that time there were only three options to invest -The G, F and C Funds. I was putting 5% of my salary and the Government was matching it ( 6%). At that time I invested 1/3 of my savings to each G, F and C Funds because I was not risky enough to invest 100% to the C fund (stocks).

I have a fellow worker who put all his savings in the C fund. When he retired in 2002 he had almost a savings closed to 1 million, while mine was not even half of his savings. However, I did not regret since I did not have sleepless nights following the ups and downs of the stock market during those years. For more details on the TSP Savings Plan read:

https://www.tsp.gov/InvestmentFunds/FundsOverview/comparisonMatrix.html

Macrine and I had another chance during our younger years to become millionaires if were risky in our investments. About 3 decades ago when the condominium market was just starting in Makati, Manila, Macrine's cousin invited us to buy condos ( 50-50 joint venture) with him in Makati. We seriously considered it. However, at that time we were not sure of our retirement plans and we did not invest with him. Macrine's cousin is now a millionaire because of his investment in the condo market in Makati and Manila suburbs.
The front of our Beach House-Chateau Du Mer in Marinduque

Today, although we are not millionaires we are very happy. I invested the money I inherited from my Parents ( Iloilo) and my TSP savings building our retirement home and beach house we called Chateau Du Mer in Amoingon, Boac, Marinduque, Philippines.

For more details about our beach house and retirement home in the Philippines, visit http://chateaudumer.blogspot.com

Lesson: Money will not buy you happiness, but it makes life easier in your retirement years!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...