Sunday, September 2, 2018

Call Me by My Name(Not by Your Name)


I am not talking about the Oscar nominated movie with a similar title(Photo above). This article is about several names that I have been called and addressed, depending on who is addressing me. I arranged it from the most formal and to the least formal as follows:


1. Dr Katague: From My former professional peers in FDA, clients and regulatory officers from Pharmaceutical Companies all over the world


2. Sir David Katague or Sir David: From My former students from the University of the Philippines from 1956 to 1959. From Younger Readers/Followers of my blogs


3. Mr. Katague: From people I just meet in social functions and that I am not well acquainted with


4. David or Dave: Almost from all my friends, neighbors and distant relatives and most of my FaceBook friends


5. Kuya or Manong Dave: From closed relatives on both Macrine's and my side of the family

and lastly


6. Nonoy, Noy, or Nonoy Dave or Tito Nonoy : From my closed relatives from Iloilo, Philippines

My closed relatives-who call me Dad, Lolo, and Kuya or Uncle Dave.

Note: In some rare cases, I have been called other names, such as Hey you!, Husband of Macrine or Husband of the Patient, Father of Ditas etc...Someday, I would like to be called GrandPa or Lolo of CarennaKT.

Incidentally, when I was a graduate student in Chicago in the mid-1960's, a stranger once called me a coconut, and a Chinese immigrant.

Here's a list of ethnic slurs referring to Filipino-Americans. Not in this list is coconuts-brown outside but white inside-refers to second or third generations Filipino-Americans who acts just like a normal white Caucasian Americans but with Filipino skin and physical features.

www.rsdb.org/race/filipinos



No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...