Saturday, August 14, 2021

Call Me By My Name-Not By Your Name


I am not talking about the Oscar nominated movie with a similar title(Photo above). Have you seen this award-winning movie?

This article is about several names that I have been called and addressed, depending on who is addressing me. I arranged it from the most formal and to the least formal as follows:


1. Dr Katague:
From My former professional peers in FDA, clients and regulatory officers from Pharmaceutical Companies all over the world


2. Sir David Katague or Sir David: From My former students from the University of the Philippines from 1956 to 1959. From Younger Readers/Followers of my blogs


3. Mr. Katague: From people I just meet in social functions and that I am not well acquainted with


4. David or Dave: Almost from all my friends, neighbors and distant relatives and most of my FaceBook friends


5. Kuya or Manong Dave or Uncle Dave: From closed relatives on both Macrine's and my side of the family

and lastly


6. Nonoy, Noy, or Nonoy Dave or Tito Nonoy : From my closed relatives from Iloilo, Philippines

My closed relatives-who call me Dad, Lolo, and Kuya or Uncle Dave.

Note: In some rare cases, I have been called other names, such as Hey you!, Husband of Macrine or Husband of the Patient, Father of Ditas etc... I have been called GrandPa or Lolo of CarennaKT for several years now. Will I still be alive when a great grand child call me Grand-Grand Papa or LOLO? 

Incidentally, when I was a graduate student in Chicago in the mid-1960's, a stranger once called me a Coconut, and a Chinese immigrant.

Here's a list of ethnic slurs referring to Filipino-Americans. Not in this list is coconuts-brown outside but white inside-refers to second or third generations Filipino-Americans who acts just like a normal white Caucasian Americans but with Filipino skin and physical features.

www.rsdb.org/race/filipinos
 

Foot notes:

Here are some Derogatory terms referring to the Philippines and Filipinos from Wikipedia

There are a variety of derogatory terms referring to the Philippines and Filipinos. Many of these terms are viewed as racist. However, these terms do not necessarily refer to Filipinos as a whole; they can also refer to specific policies, or specific time periods in history.

Chinese

  • Huan-a (Chinese: 番仔; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: hoan-á) – a pejorative term in the Hokkien or Minnan languages literally meaning "foreigner or non-Chinese". Used by ethnic Chinese from Taiwan and other parts of South East Asia to refer generally to non-Chinese Southeast Asians and Taiwanese Aborigines. In the Philippines, this term is used by Chinese Filipinos to refer to those of Filipino descent.

English

  • Gugus (also spelt Goo-goos) – a racial term used to refer to Filipino guerillas during the Philippine–American War. The term came from gugo, the Tagalog name for Entada phaseoloides or the St. Thomas bean, the bark of which was used by Filipinas to shampoo their hair. The term was a predecessor to the term gook, a racial term used to refer to all Asians.
  • Flip – used to refer to American-born Filipinos. The term has vague origins with many hypotheses regarding its origin. It is suggested that the term originates from the World War II era. The term was allegedly an acronym for "fucking little island people" causing some Filipinos to avoid referring to themselves by this term. However, the term is also being reclaimed by some by changing the alleged originally meaning of the word to "fine looking island people". Some are convinced that the term is just a short version of the term "Filipino".

Malay

  • Pilak – literally meaning 'silver' or 'money' in Tausug language used pejoratively by Sabahans to refer to illegal immigrants from ARMM of the Philippines.

Spanish

  • Indio – literally, "Indian". The term was used to refer to native Filipinos during the Spanish colonization of the Philippines, and developed negative connotations due to the mistreatment of people with the label. "Filipino" was meanwhile originally reserved to Spanish persons living in the archipelago.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...