Monday, October 17, 2022

My Unpublished Novel- The Intellectual Migrants

 


In 2002 after my retirement from FDA, I drafted a semi-autobiographical novel. I have the summary/outline and chapters all drafted, but today it is still an outline draft and I have no energy or inspiration to finish it. Currently, all my writing energies are concentrated in my blogs. 

After Dodie's ( my oldest son) novel, The Cloyne Court was published, I felt no desire in finishing this novel. The unexpected thing was that the hero of Dodie's novel was Derek, also the name of the main character in my draft. Dodie does not know of my draft story. A very unexpected coincidence, I may say.

The other main character in my draft was named Martina. Martina and Derek were married for over 62 years and have 2 adults children - Donato and Daniela. There is a 3rd major character in my novel, the villain named Dante. Several minor characters are in my draft named Isabel, Manuel, Austin, Rowena, Renato and Martha ( all semi-fictional).  The names are some of Derek and Martina's friends during their over 62 years of married life and residence in Chicago, Illinois, Kansas City, Missouri, Silver Spring, MD, Modesto and Pinole, CA.

The first scene in the novel was on the Airplane, on United Airlines from the US to Stockholm, Sweden. Derek was on his way to receive his Nobel Prize Award. Derek is the first Filipino-American to win a Nobel Prize in Chemistry. Dr. Derek research on the botanical extracts from a rare plant in the Philippines that lead to the development of a pill that retards the aging process was the main reason he won the Nobel Prize in Chemistry.  During his flight flash backs and reveries of his life from childhood in the Philippines until his retirement in the US dominated his memory. This is the main theme of the novel.

The draft of my novel has plenty of scenes of sexual nature- hetero, homo and bisexuality as well as group sex. All these scenes are fictional indeed, but in my mind if I want this novel to be a best seller it has to have plenty of sex of all kinds. 

The novel also discuss Filipino culture and traditions and the adjustment of Filipino immigrants to life in the US.  It describes the life of  Derek as a Graduate Student in US, his marriage and courtship of Martina and finally Derek and Martina involvement with the Filipino-American Communities in the Tristate Area of MD_VA -DC, California, Missouri and in the Philippines.    

The last two chapters outline the life of Derek and Martina's two adult and accomplished children,-Donato and Daniela . Donato became a lawyer specializing in cyber crime and a published writer; Daniela became a famous painter and later became the first Filipino-American to be a Presidential Appointee. 

The location of the novel are in the Philippines, Illinois, California, Missouri, Washington DC and Maryland. Other locations are in Southern Spain, London, Puerto Rico, Aruba, Cancun, London and Rome. 

There  is a chapter on Chateau Du Mer in Boac, Marinduque, Philippines.  I was hoping I could write a novel that is not only that entertaining but also educational. I was also planning the novel to be a little bit trashy and incorporate the 7 common sexual fantasies, so it will sell and perhaps become a popular novel.  

The Novel ends when Derek woke up from his reveries when the plane landed in Sweden. Derek could hear the audience thunderous applause as he receives his Award as he walks out of the airplane.

The draft of this novel had been in my possession for two decades. Again, I do not have the energy, inspiration and determination to finish it. So like Schubert's Unfinished Symphony, The Intellectual Migrants will be my Unfinished Story.  

Meanwhile enjoy these two photos the artistic creation of Mariano(Anoy) Catague in the Philippines- A Painter and Sculpture. Anoy is a distant relative whose ancestry originated from Antique Province, Philippines. Anoy is now a resident of Davao City.

For Mariano Catague artistic accomplishments, read his Face Book Page.

 

" ALIGN "
acrylic on canvas
4' X 4'
Anoy Catague
2022

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...