Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Found A New Home -The Heritage Downtown ( THD), Walnut Creek, California

 


Dodie and I visited three Independent/Assisted Living Facilities in the Walnut Creek Area yesterday. Walnut Creek is an ideal location, because it is only 15 minutes from Benicia and Dublin- where Dodie and Dinah resides. It will be very convenient for them to visit me and be around if there is an emergency.

I have two basic criteria in my search- pet friendly and Excellent Amenities-bridge.

The first facility we visited was both and independent/assisted facility. My guess is about 30% are independent. The place was cleaned and very welcoming. Dodie and My name were in the lobby officially welcoming us. The tour guide was young and knowledgeable and speak Spanish fluently.  They have a Filipino cook that I was able to talk to. Their Activity Manager is a Nurse- a Filipino American. They have 1BR rooms but the patio( balcony) is not safe for the cats ( no fencing) and next to a busy street.  They required first month move in deposit and additional $500 one time fee for the cats. The place atmosphere is very "institution like". The dining and lobby area is average looking and not too impressive. The employees were friendly, but I was turned off by the fact that my cats will not be safe. The Atria at Montego Heights is the name of the facility.   https://www.caring.com/senior-living/california/walnut-creek/atria-montego-heights-94598

The second facility we visited was a 100% independent Active Senior Living Facility. The place look more like a home and a high class Apartment/Condo right in downtown Walnut Creek. It is gated with beautiful landscaping. There is a restaurant and a Cinema in the facility. The Halls of the Buildings are decorated with museum-quality paintings and an underground garage with storage bins,. Each resident is assigned a parking space included in the rental. Dodie and I found a 2BR 2Bath apartment with full kitchen appliances (in case you want to cook) and a  big private patio with 10ft fencing and a place for my potted plants, outdoor furniture and for Batman and Robin to play Hide and Seek.  I cried with joy when I saw the patio. We had a complimentary \delicious lunch and was introduced to the Bridge Group Organizer resident. They have 2 days for bridge-one for Beginners and the other day for the Advanced Level players. I was told I could organize a mahjong group if there are residents interested. I could write one more page of the Amenities but it is better if I just put the link here. www.theheritagedowntown.com

I posted a deposit to hold the apartment for 60 days and plan on moving the first week of June. The one time move-in fee is reasonable and no one-time deposit for my cats.  

The last place we visited, I have heard good reviews before ( The Kensington at Walnut Creek). My guess is that- it is about 30/70 independent/Assisted living facility. The place was huge and parking for visitors was a nightmare with all the construction and renovation going on. The atmosphere is also like an institution with residents and staff running around the common sites in the compound in front of the building. I have my name in the welcome lobby but misspelled ( a Q instead of a G). The tour guide was late and she said she was helping in the kitchen and dining area that is why she was late for our appointment. She was knowledgeable. We started our tour- 1 BR room and 2 BR apartments. The balcony were again not safe for my cats and were not spacious at all. It was a little more expensive than the Heritage Downtown. Seeing this place confirm my notion that the Heritage was our best choice. For more details on the Kensington visit their site.  https://www.kiscoseniorliving.com/senior-living/ca/walnut-creek/the-kensington?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=17760260553&utm_term=the%20kensington%20at%20walnut%20creek

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...