Saturday, May 4, 2024

I Learned Something New Today-The Name Dusan

The other day, I introduced myself to a new resident here at THD. His first name is Dusan. I saw him eating alone at Newton's and his face was not familiar at all. After my introduction, I learned he is a local and his name is Dusan and this was his first meal at Newton.
I must admit my ignorance, because this was the first time I heard of the name Dusan. I guessed it was Slavic. My guess is correct. 
I did some search and here's what I learned about the Name Dusan from Wikipedia.   

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Dušan
PronunciationCzech: [ˈduʃan]
Serbo-Croatian: [dǔʃan]
Slovak: [ˈduʂan]
Gendermale
Language(s)Slavic
Origin
Language(s)Slavic
Word/nameduša "soul"
Derivationduš- (root) + an (suffix)
Region of originSlavic
Other names
Pet form(s)Dule (in Serbian)
Related namesDuško (in Serbian)

Dušan (Serbian CyrillicДушан) is a Slavic given name primarily used in countries of Yugoslavia; and among Slovaks and Czechs.] The name is derived from the Slavic noun duša "soul".

Occurrence

Emperor of Serbs and Greeks Stefan Dušan
NameCount people (Rank)StateDate
Dušan14,972Czechia2016[3]
Dušan40,191
(57rd; 19th man's)
Slovakia2000-10[4]
Dušan7,660 (33rd)Slovenia2021-01-01[5]
Dušan5,656Croatia2011[6]

In Serbia, it was the 29th most popular name for males, as of 2010.


And Now for my Name David. So far I am the only Resident here at THD named David. There are 20 male residents here at THD. 

David is a common masculine given name. It is of Hebrew origin, and its popularity derives from King David, a figure of central importance in the Hebrew Bible and in the religious traditions of JudaismChristianity and Islam.

Etymology

David (HebrewדָּוִדModern: DavidTiberian: Dāwîḏ) means "beloved", derived from the root dôwd (דּוֹד), which originally meant "to boil", but survives in Biblical Hebrew only in the figurative usage "to love"; specifically, it is a term for an uncle or figuratively, a lover/beloved (it is used in this way in the Song of Songs: אני לדודי ודודי לי, "I am for my beloved and my beloved is for me"). In Christian tradition, the name was adopted as Syriacܕܘܝܕ Dawid, Greek ΔαυίδLatin Davidus or David. The Quranic spelling is دَاوُۥد Dāwūd or Dā'ūd.

David was adopted as a Christian name from an early period, e.g. David of Wales (6th century), David Saharuni (7th century), David I of Iberia (9th century). Name days are celebrated on 8 February (for David IV of Georgia), 1 March (for St. David of Wales) and 29 December (for King David), as well as 25 June (St. David of Sweden), 26 June, 9 July (Russia), 26 August, 11 December and 30 December (Hungary, Latvia, Norway, Czech Republic).

Hypocorisms

The oldest, most popular and most commonly used diminutive form in the English speaking countries of David is Dav, which first appeared in written form in the 16th century. The nickname Dav or Dave has been used as a name in its own right in the 19th and 20th centuries, at least in the United States. At the height of its popularity in the 1950s and early 1960s, the name Dave was bestowed upon more than 3,000 infants each year.

Other common English-language hypocorisms of the name David are Dave, Dav, Davey, Davie, Davo, Davs, Davis, Daviey, and Davy. The Welsh Dafydd is also abbreviated DewiDai and Daf.

In Ashkenazi Jewish culture, common hypocorisms of Dovid are Dovi and Dov. Dudi is a common hypocorism in Modern Hebrew.

Davo is also used as a nickname, and is quite common in Australia and Armenia, while the nickname Dato (for Davit) is popular in the country of Georgia.

https://www.ifate.com/name-meanings/meaning-of-the-name-david.html

Once again, may I reiterate that you never stop learning no matter how old you are. One of my goals in my late stages of my life here in Planet Earth is to learn new things every day.  I hope you have the same goals with me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...