Tuesday, July 28, 2026

I learned a New Thing Today- Creating a Poster Blog

The above image and blog photo, I created today via ChatGPT Image Creation Apps.

It took less than 2 minutes. The Prompt: Under: Create a Photo, Write a Blog Post in the attached photo based on what you know about me. Make the Photo the Center Piece.  Here's a blog post based from the above poster. 

The Journey Behind the Smile

A Life of Gratitude, Family, Service, and Purpose

When people see a photograph, they often notice only the smile. They see a pleasant expression, a neatly pressed jacket, and perhaps someone who appears content with life. What they do not see are the decades of experiences, challenges, sacrifices, and blessings that shaped that smile.

The portrait accompanying this article represents far more than my appearance today. It tells the story of a young boy who grew up in the Province of Iloilo in the Philippines, surrounded by parents who believed that education, integrity, faith, and hard work were life's greatest treasures. Those values became the foundation upon which I built everything else.

My journey eventually led me thousands of miles away from my homeland. Like millions of immigrants before me, I arrived in the United States carrying little more than hope, determination, my education, and the dream of building a better future. Looking back, I realize that every challenge became another lesson, every setback another opportunity, and every success another reason to be grateful.

Science became my profession and public service became my calling. After earning my doctorate in Pharmaceutical Chemistry, I devoted my career to research, drug development, and eventually to the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA). There I had the privilege of working with exceptionally talented scientists whose shared mission was to help ensure that medicines reaching the American public were safe, effective, and of the highest quality.

While I take pride in my professional accomplishments, I have learned that careers eventually come to an end. What remains are the lives we touch, the people we encourage, and the example we leave behind.

That is why family has always occupied the center of my life.

I was blessed with a loving wife, Macrine, my partner for sixty-three wonderful years. Together we raised four remarkable children who have each built meaningful lives of their own. Today, I also enjoy the blessings of grandchildren and great-grandsons who remind me that life's greatest legacy is not measured in titles or awards but in generations inspired by love and good values.

Now, at ninety-one years of age, I reside at The Heritage Downtown Senior Living Community in Walnut Creek, California. Many people imagine that life slows dramatically in one's nineties. My experience has been quite the opposite.

Each day continues to bring new opportunities.

I still write my blogs, which have reached readers in more than 150 countries around the world. Through these writings I have discovered that ideas know no borders. Whether discussing family, health, food, travel, history, science, aging, or current events, I have been fortunate to connect with readers from many different cultures and backgrounds. It is one of the greatest blessings of my retirement years.

I continue to enjoy Bridge and Mahjong with friends, daily walks, exercise, weekly massage therapy, and the companionship of my two beloved cats, Batman and Robin, who faithfully remind me that joy often comes in the simplest moments.

My Roman Catholic faith remains my compass. It has guided me through seasons of success, disappointment, celebration, and loss. Faith has taught me that gratitude is not merely an emotion, it is a way of living.

As I reflect upon my life, I recognize that I have been blessed far beyond anything I imagined as a young student in the Philippines. Yet I also recognize that none of us succeeds alone. Every teacher, mentor, colleague, friend, family member, and even those who challenged us have contributed to who we become.

If there is one message I hope my worldwide readers will take from my journey, it is this:

Never stop learning. Never stop being curious. Never stop serving others.

Age does not diminish our ability to make a difference. As long as our minds remain open and our hearts remain compassionate, each new day offers another opportunity to encourage someone, solve a problem, share a story, or simply bring a smile to another person's face.

The photograph above captures only a single moment.

The real portrait has been painted over more than nine decades, through family, education, immigration, scientific discovery, public service, friendship, faith, gratitude, and the privilege of growing older.

The smile you see today is not the smile of a man who has lived a perfect life.

It is the smile of someone who has learned that life's greatest riches are not found in possessions, but in purpose; not in recognition, but in relationships; not in the number of years we live, but in the gratitude with which we embrace each day.

To all of my readers around the world, thank you for allowing me to share this journey with you. Your encouragement, thoughtful comments, and friendship over the years have made blogging one of the most rewarding chapters of my life.

May we all continue to live with grateful hearts, eager minds, and hopeful spirits.

"Grateful for yesterday, excited for today, hopeful for tomorrow."   

Lastly, Do you Know the Scientific Names of Common Animals and Plants?   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...