Tuesday, January 7, 2020

New Recipe for Salmon Head Fish Soup with Vegetables

Salmon Head with Mixture of Vegetables

The other day, I cooked salmon head fish soup with okra, green beans, boctoy, celery, potatoes, sweet onions and tomatoes in Tamarind sauce.  It was similar to my recipe posted in my site at bottom of this page. The difference is fresh okra from my garden this year.

Most of my American friends, children and grand children are turn off when they see fish heads. But for most Asians, fish heads are reserved for the most important person at the food table. When I was growing up in the Philippines fish heads were reserved for my Dad or for the guest of honor at dinner time.

If there are more than one, it is offered to the next person in rank in the family. As the oldest child, I was 3rd in priority in our family, next to my Dad and Mom, I get the third fish head for dinner.  The other parts of the fish are for other members of the family.  

Fish head soup ( sinigang) is a delicacy in the Philippines and one of the most common dishes in an oriental family's diet. My favorite fish head soup besides salmon is the head of bingao, an big ocean fish that belongs to the red snapper family.
Red Snapper-Photo Credit-Luke Jodouin

However, to most non-Asians fish head soup is not for human consumption and just looking at the fish head disgust them.   My US born children and grand children do not eat fish head soup, but they love salmon steaks or red snapper fillet. Of course they love Fish and Chips.

Here's my original recipe for salmon head Fish soup with vegetables  

https://myfavoritepinoydishes.blogspot.com/2015/04/salmon-fish-head-soup-with.html
The soup I placed in a Separate Plate
Fish is one of healthy foods that contain high of protein but low in fat. It comes with omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins such as D and B2 (riboflavin), calcium, phosphorus and minerals such as iron, zinc, iodine, magnesium and potassium. In addition, fish has many types and some of fishes are important for the health of the body. With those essential nutrients, every part of the fish is being consumed, especially for the head.  The head of the fish can be consumed with several recipes, including by making fish head soup. The soup is now become popular due to its delicious taste. However, not only having a good taste, the soup contains many health benefits. For details of the benefits of fish head soup read:

https://drhealthbenefits.com/food-bevarages/fish/health-benefits-of-fish-head-soup

Meanwhile enjoy this photo of my recent breakfast:

Mangoes Anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...