Friday, December 29, 2023

An Unexpected but Delightful Dinner Conversation with John and Carol

Last Wednesday at dinner time, I had the privilege of dining with a couple that was a complete stranger to me and also with Farna Sewell, a new resident in the Plaza Tower.

From Left to Right: Farna Sewell, Carol Bradas and Linda Moschell -Christmas Eve Dinner

John and Carol will be moving to the Heritage Tower next year on February 6, 2024.  Wednesday night was the day they decided to move here at THD, get the paper work done and had a free dinner- compliments of Jenny S.   

I learned that John is a bridge player, which excited me with great anticipation of him joining our bridge group here at THD.  John and Carol are familiar with Filipino food, mentioning pancit, adobo and lumpia. They informed me that they have friends with Filipino ancestry and immediately informed me that they were sure I have Filipino ancestry because of the way I talk,  and possibly of how I look. 

John and Carol have heard of THD from a former friend and neighbor who had plans of moving here at THD. Their friend died with a stroke on the day he was supposed to move. What a sad story. 

Carol asked me what brought me to the US. I briefly told them of my childhood dream to come here in the US because I wanted to play in the snow.  I told my dinner companions that the complete answer to Carol question is detailed in my blogs and autobiography. I informed the group of my experience as a Graduate Student at the University of Illinois in Chicago in the early and mid-1960's. I also told them my blogs are like my diary- write on any subject that I experience every day and have been doing it since 2009. I also told them I might even write a short article of our dinner conversation (and here it is!). 

https://theintellectualmigrants.blogspot.com/2023/08/excerpts-from-my-autobiography-for.html

I learned that John is a retired lawyer and he obtained his law degree from UC Berkeley. We are both Bears Fans and supporters and had attended a few Football Games against Stanford. John is also a 49er fan and enjoyed the athletic talents of Purdy, McCaffrey, Kittle, Bosa and other 49er players.   

I am looking forward to their move. I informed them of the THD Greeters Program. I will volunteer again to be their official greeter if THD management offer it to me. John has a minor mobility problem, so the Heritage Tower is the best building for his needs.   Allow me to repost again what is expected of the Role of the Greeter here at THD.

  • Greeters’ role is to simply help the new resident adjust to their new life at THD. Be a point of contact for them should they need help with dining, transportation, activities, or navigating the THD property. 
  • Invite them to a lunch/dinner.
  • Invite them to THD social events or excursions.
  • Introduce them to other residents and hopefully new friendships develop organically.

 

Overall, the role of the greeter is just being friendly, welcoming, and supportive!


Personal Note: Finally, I have contacted Jay Pollack and waiting for his call. 


https://chateaudumer.blogspot.com/2023/12/delighted-to-be-involved-with-thd.html

He has moved some of his belongings to F202, but is still not personally residing here at THD as of today. I was told by his interior Decorator that he plans to be here in the next couple of days.  

 When I moved to THD last June I had a Mover Coordinator, but not an Interior Decorator.  With the Mover Coordinator, I did not lift a finger during the move. There was a floor plan where the furnitures will be placed. I had ALSO the help of Dodie and Dinah!

 Moving and Downsizing was still traumatic in spite of all the help I got. It took me a couple of weeks to settle down and feel at home here at THD. The Greeter Program should help new residents during this Transition in their Life, I hope. Again, Welcome, Jay Pollack to THD.            


No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...