Thursday, August 27, 2026

What I Learned After Finishing The Correspondent: Two Novels, Two Paths to a Meaningful Life

I have just finished reading The Correspondent by Virginia Evans, and I find myself doing something I often do after finishing a book that has touched me deeply: I am comparing it with another book I recently reviewed.

In this case, that book is Theo of Golden by Allen Levi.

At first glance, these two novels could hardly be more different.

The Correspondent is the story of Sybil Van Antwerp, an intelligent, independent, sometimes prickly older woman whose life unfolds primarily through letters. She is looking backward, at love, family, friendship, grief, mistakes, regrets, and the choices that shaped her life. The novel asks us to consider what remains unresolved within us, even after many decades of living.

Theo of Golden, on the other hand, begins when an elderly stranger named Theo arrives in a small Southern town. He buys pencil portraits of local people and gives the portraits back to the people who inspired them. In return, he asks for their stories. Through these simple acts of generosity, he creates friendships and changes lives.

Yet after finishing both books, I was struck by how much they have in common.

Both are really about connection. And perhaps that is why they resonated so strongly with me.

We All Want to Be Seen

One of the deepest lessons I took from Theo of Golden is that people want to be seen, not merely looked at, but truly seen.

Theo does this in a remarkably simple way. He notices people. He takes an interest in their stories. He listens.

The portraits become more than pieces of art. They become a way of telling someone, I see you. Your life matters. Your story is worth knowing.

The Correspondent arrives at a similar truth through a completely different path.

Sybil has spent much of her life communicating through letters. Her correspondence becomes a record of her relationships, her memories, her joys and disappointments, and eventually her attempt to understand herself.

The difference is important. Theo reaches outward to discover other people's stories.

Sybil writes inward to understand her own.

But both remind us of something I have learned repeatedly during my own 91 years:

Every person carries a story that deserves to be heard.

Kindness Can Change a Life

Theo teaches us about the power of an unexpected act of kindness.

His generosity is not complicated. He does not need wealth, political influence, or extraordinary power. He simply chooses to do something good for another person.

That lesson is especially meaningful to me because I have come to believe that, as we grow older, our legacy is less about what we accumulated and more about what we gave away, our time, our wisdom, our friendship, our encouragement, and our kindness.

The Correspondent approaches kindness differently. It reminds us that words can also be gifts.

A thoughtful letter can preserve a friendship. An honest confession can heal an old wound. A few carefully chosen words can give comfort to someone who is hurting.

In our world of text messages, emails, emojis, and instant communication, Evans reminds us of something we may be losing: the value of taking the time to think about what we want to say.

A letter says, in effect, You were important enough for me to sit down and write to you.

That is a form of kindness, too.

The Past Never Completely Leaves Us

Here the two books become quite different.

Theo of Golden is primarily a story about what can happen when we choose to move toward other people.

The Correspondent is more deeply concerned with what happens when we carry the past inside ourselves.

Sybil's life contains grief, disappointment, family complications, old wounds, and things left unsaid. Her letters gradually reveal that growing older does not automatically make us wise about ourselves.

That realization stayed with me. We often assume that age itself brings wisdom.

I am no longer certain that it does. Age gives us experience. Wisdom comes from what we do with that experience.

We can carry our mistakes for decades without understanding them. We can allow resentment to become part of our personality. We can protect ourselves from being hurt again and, in doing so, prevent ourselves from experiencing intimacy and forgiveness.

Sybil's journey reminded me that sometimes the hardest person to understand is ourselves.

Connection Requires Courage

This may be the most important similarity between the two novels.

Theo connects with people by approaching them.

Sybil connects with people through words.

But both stories remind us that genuine connection requires courage.

It is much easier to remain safely behind our walls.

We can convince ourselves that we do not need anyone.

We can live alone. We can keep our thoughts to ourselves.

We can avoid difficult conversations. We can say, "That's just the way I am."

But human beings were not designed for complete isolation.

At my own senior living community, The Heritage Downtown, I see this every day. We have more than 160 residents, each carrying decades of experiences, professions, families, successes, failures, loves, losses, and memories.

Sometimes I look around and wonder how many fascinating stories are sitting quietly around the dining room, waiting for someone to ask a simple question:

"Tell me about your life." That, to me, is one of the gifts of both books.

Two Different Kinds of Legacy

Theo's legacy is created through the people he touches.

Sybil's legacy is created through the words she leaves behind.

This distinction particularly interests me because I have been writing for many years.

I started blogging in 2009. Over the years, I have written about books, food, technology, aging, the Philippines, America, family, history, and the many ordinary and extraordinary experiences that have shaped my life.

Why do I continue? Perhaps The Correspondent helped me understand the answer.

We write because we want to leave something behind.

Not necessarily something important to the world.

Something meaningful to another person.

A thought. A memory. A story. A lesson. A moment of laughter.

Perhaps even a few words that someone reads years from now and says, I understand what he meant. That may be enough.

What Aging Has Taught Me

There is another reason these two books affected me. Both are, in different ways, books about growing older.

And neither suggests that old age means our story is finished. Quite the opposite.

Theo arrives in Golden as an older man and begins a new chapter.

Sybil, despite being well into her later years, still has discoveries to make about herself.

That is an important lesson for those of us who are fortunate enough to grow old.

We are never too old to begin again. Never too old to make a new friend.

Never too old to apologize. Never too old to forgive. Never too old to learn something new.

Never too old to write a letter or, in my case, another blog post.

And perhaps most importantly, never too old to make a difference in someone else's life.

Two Books, One Message

If I had to reduce the lessons of these two novels to two sentences, I would put it this way:

Theo of Golden teaches us to look outward to notice people, listen to their stories, practice generosity, and make someone's day a little brighter.

The Correspondent teaches us to look inward to examine our memories, confront our regrets, acknowledge our grief, and find the courage to understand and forgive ourselves and others.

Theo asks us: "Whose life can I touch?"

Sybil asks us: "What does my life mean?"

Perhaps the real wisdom lies somewhere between those two questions.

We need both. We need to understand ourselves, but we also need to understand others.

We need reflection, but we also need action.

We need memories, but we also need new experiences.

We need to tell our stories, but we also need to listen to someone else's.

And we need both the courage to say I am sorry and the generosity to say I forgive you.

My Final Thought

When I finished The Correspondent, I did not simply close the book.

I thought about my own correspondence with life.

At 91, I have accumulated many memories of Iloilo, education, America, immigration, science, the FDA, marriage, children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, friendships, loss, aging, and now life here at THD.

Like Sybil, I have a lifetime of stories.

Like Theo, I have learned that other people's stories are just as important as my own.

And perhaps that is the greatest lesson these two novels have given me:

A meaningful life is not measured only by what we accomplish. It is measured by the people we see, the people we listen to, the kindness we give, the forgiveness we offer, and the stories we leave behind.

Theo reminds us to reach out. Sybil reminds us to look within.

And both remind us that, regardless of our age, there is still time to connect, to learn, to forgive, to love, and to make a difference.

That is a lesson worth carrying with us long after the final page.

AI Overview: 

True Connection Requires Vulnerability, Not Just Eloquence
  • The Performance of Words: Sybil uses perfectly constructed letters to control her narrative and keep people at a safe distance.
  • The Cost of Safety: Her daughter Fiona highlights the pain of this emotional barrier, admitting she never knew how to confide in a mother who hid behind a polished exterior.
  • The Lesson: While clever prose builds elegant bridges, true intimacy requires stepping out from behind the desk, risking imperfect phrasing, and letting others see our unedited self.
Forgiveness Breaks the Armor of Isolation
  • Carrying "Stones": Sybil carries decades of profound grief, specifically the tragic childhood loss of her son, Gilbert and guards her secrets fiercely. 
  • The Unsent Message: For years, she writes to a figure from her past but hoards the letter, choosing the frozen comfort of resentment over resolution. 
  • The Lesson: Meaningful growth requires dispatching our unsent letters. Confronting old ghosts and offering genuine forgiveness to others and ourselves is the only way to avoid stagnation.
Life Refuses to Be Stagnant in Any Season
  • The "Winter" Rebirth: At 73 years old, divorced and living alone, Sybil views herself as entering the twilight of her story.
  • Unexpected Evolution: Instead of winding down, her life actively expands through a late-stage love triangle, new generational friendships, and an unyielding intellectual curiosity.
  • The Lesson: Purpose does not have an expiration date. Even when physical faculties fade, like Sybil’s deteriorating eyesight, our capacity to impact lives and experience joy remains entirely active.

AI Impressions on this Posting:

I think these two books make a fascinating pair for you, especially because both are ultimately about the human need to be seen, heard, understood, and connected to others, but they approach that truth from almost opposite directions.

The Correspondent gives us Sybil, an older woman looking backward at a complicated life, while Theo of Golden gives us Theo, an older man who enters a community and changes the lives of others through small acts of generosity. One is largely about looking inward; the other about reaching outward.

Moreover, I especially love that this post connects The Correspondent and Theo of Goldento life at THD. Your fellow residents may recognize themselves in both books: people with long histories, unfinished stories, memories, regrets, wisdom, and most importantly, the continuing capacity to form new friendships and touch another person's life.

And I think the closing thought captures something very much at the heart of your writing:

“We are never too old to begin again.”

Finally, this posting is a beautiful message for your worldwide readers and perhaps an even more meaningful one for the 160+ people sharing this chapter of life with you at THD.

Thank you for allowing me to help you put your reflections into words. It is a privilege.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...