When I first wrote about Life in the Philippines versus Life in the United States, I was looking at the subject mostly as a retiree. Today, at 91, I look at it very differently.
I am no longer simply comparing two countries. I am comparing two parts of my life.
I was born and raised in the Philippines. I spent my childhood in Barotac Viejo and Iloilo, went to the University of the Philippines, came to America as a young graduate student in 1960, earned my Ph.D., built a career, raised a family, retired from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, and eventually became a Filipino-American who felt at home on both sides of the Pacific.
For many years, Macrine and I lived what our friends called the “snowbird lifestyle.” Our primary home was in Northern California, while we spent several months in Marinduque, where we built our retirement home and Chateau Du Mer.
We enjoyed what I once jokingly described as living like a king and queen in the Philippines and doing much more of the work ourselves in America.
But life has changed. And so have the Philippines and the United States.
My Original Comparison
When I wrote the original article, I listed many things I loved about the Philippines.
Family and relatives were nearby. Life in the province was slower.
Fresh seafood, fruits and vegetables were readily available.
There were fiestas, festivals, beautiful beaches and a culture that I knew from childhood.
Most importantly, Filipinos were and still are known for their hospitality.
There were also things that frustrated me: traffic, pollution, unreliable utilities in some areas, noise, long lines, tropical storms and the sometimes chaotic way of doing business.
I made similar observations about the United States.
America offered better infrastructure, reliable utilities, modern technology, excellent medical facilities, greater privacy and many conveniences.
But it could also feel impersonal.
Labor was expensive. Doing simple household jobs often meant doing them yourself or paying considerably more for someone else to do them.
And, as I discovered when I first arrived in America in 1960, life in a large American city could sometimes be lonely for an immigrant.
Looking back, however, I realize that my comparison was incomplete.
I was comparing places. I was not yet comparing experiences.
What Has Changed Since I Wrote That Article?
A great deal. One of the biggest changes is technology.
When I first came to America in 1960, I had no computer, no smartphone, no internet and no email.
Today I can sit at my computer and communicate with people anywhere in the world.
And I can use artificial intelligence to help me research, organize and improve my writing.
The Philippines has also undergone a remarkable digital transformation. According to the Philippine Statistics Authority, the country's digital economy reached approximately ₱2.74 trillion in 2025, or 9.8% of GDP. It now includes digital services, e-commerce, digital infrastructure and government services.
That is a very different Philippines from the one I knew as a boy.
The Philippines is no longer simply a country of jeepneys, sari-sari stores and handwritten letters.
It is also a country of smartphones, online banking, e-commerce, business-process outsourcing, digital entrepreneurs and young people working with technologies that did not exist during most of my lifetime.
Healthcare Has Changed Too
Healthcare is another area where I see an important difference from the Philippines of my youth.
The Philippines enacted its Universal Health Care law in 2019, providing the legal framework for broader access to healthcare. More recently, PhilHealth has expanded primary-care services through programs such as Konsulta and YAKAP, including consultations, laboratory services, medicines and cancer screening.
There is still a considerable difference between the healthcare systems of the two countries, and access and affordability remain important challenges in both.
But I am encouraged by how much the Philippines has changed.
As someone who spent many years working in pharmaceutical science and the FDA, I have always believed that access to effective medicines and healthcare should be part of the conversation about living longer and living better.
Today, that conversation is taking place in both countries.
The Philippines Is Also Facing a New Challenge: Climate
When I was young, typhoons were simply part of life in the Philippines.
Today, I understand more clearly how vulnerable the country is to extreme weather and climate change.
The Philippines remains one of the world's most disaster-prone countries, facing typhoons, floods, earthquakes, droughts and volcanic eruptions. The World Bank has emphasized the need for stronger community resilience and infrastructure to protect millions of Filipino households.
This is especially meaningful to me because Marinduque is not just a place on a map.
It became part of my family's life. When I think about our retirement home, our beach, the coconut trees, the sea and the people of Marinduque, I also think about how vulnerable island communities can be.
The beautiful Philippines that I remember from childhood needs protection for future generations.
The United States Has Changed Too
America has changed dramatically since I arrived as a 26-year-old graduate student in 1960.
I have lived in Chicago, Kansas City, Modesto, the San Francisco Bay Area, Maryland and Northern California.
I have watched America experience the civil rights movement, the Vietnam era, the space race, Watergate, the computer revolution, 9/11, the internet revolution, the COVID-19 pandemic and now the age of artificial intelligence.
I have also seen the country become increasingly diverse.
When I arrived, I sometimes felt that Americans knew very little about the Philippines.
Today, Filipino-Americans are much more visible in American society.
We have Filipino-American physicians, nurses, scientists, engineers, educators, lawyers, artists, politicians, military personnel, business owners and community leaders.
And I am proud that my own children and grandchildren have become part of that American story while retaining their Filipino heritage.
The Relationship Between the Two Countries Has Also Changed
Something else has happened since I wrote my original article.
The Philippines and the United States have continued to develop a close relationship.
In 2026, the two countries are celebrating 80 years of formal diplomatic relations, dating from July 4, 1946. This year also marks the 75th anniversary of the Mutual Defense Treaty.
But the relationship today is much broader than military cooperation.
It includes trade, investment, education, healthcare, disaster response, tourism, culture, technology, cybersecurity and even cooperation involving outer space.
The two countries are also dealing with new economic questions. In July 2026, the Philippines and the United States were continuing discussions following a U.S. decision to impose an additional 12.5% tariff related to forced-labor enforcement. Philippine officials said they would continue negotiations while reviewing the impact on exports.
These developments remind me that relationships between countries, like relationships between people, are never finished. They require adjustment.
My Life Has Changed More Than Either Country
Perhaps the most important update to my original article is not about the Philippines or America. It is about me.
When I wrote the original piece, Macrine and I were still enjoying our retirement years between Northern California and Marinduque.
Today I live at The Heritage Downtown in Walnut Creek, an active senior community.
I no longer drive. I spend much of my time writing, playing bridge, visiting with friends, exercising, enjoying therapeutic massage and staying connected with family.
And, of course, I continue to write. That has become especially important to me.
At 91, I have discovered that writing is more than a hobby. It is a way of preserving memories.
It is my way of talking to my children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and readers I may never meet.
It is also my way of connecting my Filipino past with my American present.
What About the Cost of Living?
This was one of the strongest parts of my original comparison.
Life in the Philippines can still be less expensive than life in the United States for many everyday services, particularly outside the major cities.
But the Philippines has changed. Prices have risen. Modern lifestyles have created new expenses. Imported goods can be expensive.
And the old picture of the Philippines as a place where everything is inexpensive is no longer accurate.
At the same time, America has become an increasingly expensive place to live, especially for housing, healthcare and many services.
So I would no longer tell someone simply: “The Philippines is cheaper.”
I would say: “It depends on where you live, how you live and what you need.”
That is a much more honest answer.
Family Is Still the Biggest Difference
After all these years, however, I think the greatest difference between the two countries is not infrastructure, money or technology.
It is the way we experience family and community.
Filipino culture places tremendous importance on extended family.
A visitor rarely remains a stranger for very long. Someone will feed you.
Someone will ask about your parents. Someone will know your cousin.
Someone will invite you to a fiesta. And someone will probably tell you that you are too thin and need to eat more.
That is part of being Filipino. America has taught me the importance of independence, privacy and individual responsibility.
The Philippines has continually reminded me of the importance of family, relationships and community. I need both lessons.
I Am No Longer Looking for Which Country Is Better
This is probably the biggest change in my thinking since I first wrote this article.
At 91, I don't ask: Which is better-the Philippines or the United States?
I don't think there is one answer. America gave me opportunities that changed my life.
It gave a young Filipino graduate student the opportunity to earn a Ph.D., build a scientific career and eventually serve the American public through the FDA.
The Philippines gave me my childhood. It gave me my language, my culture, my memories, my values and my sense of who I am.
The Philippines gave me my wife, Macrine, and the family we built together.
America gave our children and grandchildren opportunities that my generation could hardly have imagined. And both countries became part of my identity.
What I Have Learned at 91
After more than six decades in America, I no longer see myself as choosing between two countries.
I see myself as a bridge between two cultures. I am Filipino. I am American.
I am Filipino-American. I can enjoy Pancit, Adobo and Hamburgers and Hot Dogs.
I can remember the Philippines of my childhood while appreciating the America of today.
I can play bridge at THD and remember playing mahjong in the Philippines.
I can write about my Filipino ancestors and then use artificial intelligence to help me reach readers around the world.
I can remember the simple life of a boy in Barotac Viejo and marvel at the technology that allows a 91-year-old retired chemist to continue writing for a worldwide audience.
That is my definition of progress.
Home Is Still Where the Heart Is
When Macrine and I lived our snowbird lifestyle, we used to say:
“Home is not a place, but in the heart.” I understand that saying much better today.
Home is the Philippines where I was born. Home is the United States where I spent most of my adult life.
Home is the family Macrine and I created. Home is the memory of our years together.
Home is where my children and grandchildren are. Home is where my readers are.
And today, home is also my community at THD, where I continue to make friends and live an active life at 91.
Perhaps this is what growing older has taught me: We don't always have to choose between the places we love.
Sometimes we can carry both places inside us. The Philippines gave me my roots.
America gave me wings. And after more than six decades between the two, I am grateful for both.
Mabuhay ang Pilipinas! God Bless America!
And wherever you call home, may you always remember where your journey began.
AI Impressions On this Posting:
I think this version is stronger than simply updating the old pros-and-cons list. It turns the article into a piece about immigration, aging, identity, technology, family and belonging and that makes it much more “David at 91.” Your original article was essentially asking “Which lifestyle is better?”; this version answers a deeper question: “What have two countries given me during a lifetime of living between them?”



No comments:
Post a Comment