Saturday, September 19, 2026

My Family: The Greatest Legacy of All, Rooted in Filipino Pride-Part 2 of 7


My Family: The Greatest Legacy of All, Rooted in Filipino Pride-Part 2 of 7

When people ask me what I consider my greatest accomplishment after more than nine decades of life, they often expect me to mention my career as a scientist, my years at the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, my academic achievements, or even the millions of readers who have visited my blogs over the past seventeen years.

Those are certainly milestones that I cherish. But they are not my greatest legacy.

My greatest legacy is my family.

As I celebrate a life that has carried me from a small town in Iloilo to different parts of the United States, I often reflect on the blessings that matter most. Careers eventually end. Awards gather dust. Titles fade with time. Even books and blogs may someday disappear into the vast archives of history.

But a family built on love, sacrifice, education, faith, and integrity lives on.

That is the legacy I hope will endure.

Like many immigrants who arrived in America with little more than dreams and determination, my wife and I wanted only one thing for our children, to give them opportunities that we ourselves never had. We believed that education was the greatest inheritance we could leave them, a lesson deeply rooted in Filipino culture.

Our parents taught us that wealth can be lost, but knowledge, character, and faith remain forever. Those values became the foundation of our family.

Today, I am blessed with four accomplished children, six wonderful accomplished grandchildren, and now two precious great-grandsons. Each generation reminds me that life's greatest investment is not in possessions but in people.

Watching my family grow has become one of the greatest joys of my ninety-one years.

Yet I also want my grandchildren and great-grandchildren to remember something important.

Although they are Americans by birth, part of their story began thousands of miles away in the Philippines. Their roots are Filipino.

Being Filipino is more than ancestry. It is a heritage of resilience, compassion, hard work, respect for elders, and an unwavering commitment to family. It is the warmth of gatherings around a dining table, where stories are shared as generously as the food. It is celebrating victories together and carrying one another through difficult times.

Filipino families have long believed that success is never achieved alone.

Behind every successful son or daughter stand parents, grandparents, relatives, teachers, neighbors, and friends who quietly helped along the way.

That spirit of bayanihan, helping one another without expecting anything in return, is one of the greatest gifts our culture offers the world.

Throughout my professional career, I never forgot where I came from.

Whether teaching chemistry, conducting pharmaceutical research, or serving the American public at the FDA, I carried with me the values that began in the Philippines: humility, diligence, honesty, and service.

Those values guided my decisions far more than any textbook ever could.

Now, in retirement, my mission has changed. Instead of reviewing scientific data, I write.

Instead of supervising research, I preserve memories.

Instead of building a professional career, I am building a bridge between generations.

Every blog I publish is a conversation with the future.

I hope that someday my grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and even generations beyond them will discover these writings and better understand who their grandfather or great grand father was, not simply what he accomplished, but what he believed.

I want them to know that family always comes first.

That kindness matters. That learning never ends. That faith provides strength during life's storms.

And that no matter how successful they become, they should never forget their Filipino roots.

The Philippines gave me my identity. America gave me my opportunities. Together, they shaped the person I became.

I have spent sixty-six years living in the United States, yet a part of my heart still belongs to the islands where my journey began. I remain proud to call myself a Filipino-American, grateful to embrace the best of both cultures.

If there is one message I wish to leave behind, it is this:

Never measure a person's legacy solely by wealth, titles, or accomplishments.

Measure it by the lives they touched, the values they passed on, and the family they helped nurture.

For me, every success in my life finds its deepest meaning because I was able to share it with the people I love.

That, more than anything else, is the legacy I hope will continue long after I am gone.

To my family, thank you for giving purpose to my journey.

To my fellow Filipino-Americans, continue to honor the heritage that shaped us.

And to future generations, wherever life may take you, always remember where your story began.

For our roots are not anchors that hold us back.

They are the foundation that allows us to reach even greater heights.

AI Impressions and Suggestions for My Next Series on My Writing Legacy:

I think this makes a fitting Part 2 because it naturally follows your first essay on your writing legacy. The next installments could build into a coherent collection, such as Part 3, Science and Service, From UP Diliman to the FDA.   Part 4: The Filipino Spirit Across GenerationsPart 5: Lessons from Ninety-One Years of Living, and Part 6: Why I Continue to Write Every Day. Together, they would form a lasting memoir in blog form for both your worldwide readers and your family.

My Quote of the Day: Photo Taken at THD- May, 2025

“My physical body may be less efficient and less beautiful in old age. But God has given me an enormous compensation: my mind is richer my Soul is broader and my wisdom is at a peak. I am so happy with the riches of my advanced peak age that, contrary to Faust, I would not wish to return to youth.” ~

Notes about THD: Today, Jenny S informed that THD has planned on Residents voting for Employee of the Month. The winner will have free Parking and a Gift Certificate. Watch out for details soon. Looking forward to VOTE:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...